For students exchanging to Iowa State
Congratulations on your NSE placement at Iowa State University!
This page includes all enrollment, housing/dining, and health documents that need to completed for exchange at Iowa State. Please revisit this site for this information.
Things to do:
Check email frequently!
- Please complete and sign your NSE Placement Agreement Form with your home campus NSE Coordinator as quickly as possible and confirm that it is sent to the Iowa State University NSE office (address listed bottom of page).
- Please complete the online "Application for Nondegree Students". The required fee is $40. This application must be submitted for registration and housing eligibility.
- U.S. citizens and immigrant NSE applicants will upload a copy of their official academic records.
- International NSE applicants should upload a copy of official academic records, the Financial Statement and bank documents, any English tests taken, and a copy of their passport.
- An NSE orientation fee of $50 per semester will be required from you before classes begin. This will be issued to your university bill. Failure to pay this fee may result in registration being canceled.
- Prepare to register for the Fall semester in mid-March, or the Spring semester in mid-October, to take advantage of the priority registration that is offered to NSE students. Registration is completed online. An Iowa State Student Identification number is needed to register. Your ID number will be created following receipt of your nondegree application. You will be contacted when cleared to register. Please pay close attention to your email over the next couple of weeks.
- Review the Iowa State University course catalog and the schedule of classes.
- NSE students are encouraged to consider on-campus living. See the Department of Residence website and complete your contract on AccessPlus.
- Please review student health requirements for new students. Complete all forms via AccessPlus by June 30 for fall enrollment, or November 30 for spring enrollment. All international students will be scheduled for a required international student health screening appointment soon after arrival to campus. This will be arranged through the International Students and Scholars Office.
- If you are exchanging on Plan A and planning to use federal financial aid for your exchange, list Iowa State on your FAFSA. Our FAFSA school code is 001869. An initial financial aid offer will be made to you by the Iowa State Financial Aid Office, which you will be able to view and accept on AccessPlus, our university information system. If you are exchanging on Plan B, your financial aid will be processed through your home campus. Please check with your home coordinator to be sure you have completed the necessary steps to receive your aid if you are exchanging on Plan B.
- For information on the costs of attending the Iowa State on Plan A, see the student expense estimating tool. This tool will give you a reasonable estimate of how much it will cost you to attend Iowa State next year. NSE students may take a maximum of 18 credits per semester. Be sure to select Iowa residency when using the estimator.
- Please send an unofficial transcript after grades have been released from your home institution as a PDF email attachment to email@example.com prior to registration.
When mailing items or requesting transcripts be sent to the Iowa State NSE office, please use this address:
1080 Hixson-Lied Student Success Center
Iowa State University
215 Beach Road
Ames, IA 50011-1383
You can reach someone at the NSE office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling (515) 294-6479. Regardless of the question, whether it be about classes, housing, or financial concerns, ALWAYS begin with the NSE office.
Get ready for an exciting exchange experience at Iowa State!